Information/Guidance for Yoga Students
Welcome to your Yoga journey, here’s a little more information you may find useful. If you have any questions, please do contact me. Please also consult with your GP if you are unsure about attending class.
The aim of Yoga is the integration of body, mind and breath. It is non-competitive and consists of the following elements: Asana (postures), Pranayama (breathing), Meditation and Relaxation. Through these practices of Yoga our reservoirs of hope and optimism can be refilled and refuelled.
I am a fully qualified (Diploma) teacher with The British Wheel of Yoga (the governing body for Yoga in the UK) and my style of teaching is influenced by Hatha, Iyengar, Vinyasa Flow and Mindfulness. My classes are for everyone and all asanas (postures) have modifications and variations. I ask all students to complete a confidential health questionnaire to ensure I am aware of modifications that may need to be applied for certain practices. Students are reminded to notify me of any changes in health conditions as soon as they are aware, even on the day of class. If in doubt, ask me.
- We practise Yoga in bare feet for safety, however you may wish to have a pair of socks for the relaxation section.
- It is advisable not to eat a heavy meal within 2 hours of the start of your class and to have emptied your bowels and bladder.
- Wear loose layers of comfortable clothing and remove any dangling jewellery.
- Wherever possible, contact lenses are more beneficial than glasses.
- Bring along all medication that you may need and let me know of any that are for emergency use.
- Mats are provided, however you may wish to bring your own mat and a blanket for relaxation.
- Please ensure your mobile phone is switched off for the duration of the class, this is your time.
- If you have a heavy period or a bad cold, head down and inverted postures may not be comfortable so alternatives will be given.
- During class I may come round to assist you in a yoga posture. I will always ask before touching you and you always have the opportunity to say “no” to being assisted.
- To encourage my students to commit to their practice I offer discounts on booking for the whole term of classes.
- You are the best person to know your body and its capabilities from day to day, take care of yourself during class and rest whenever you need.
- All classes are aimed and designed for adults (over 18s). If you are under 18, or know someone who is interested in Yoga please ask me as I may know teachers who are specifically qualified in this field.
Enjoy your journey and I’m always available for any questions/concerns.